Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Copycat Disneyland's Blue Bayou Monte Cristo

So I hope that you all had a great Valentines Day!!!  You know how when you are first married or in a relationship or whatever and you celebrate your one week... one month... two month... etc?  Wellllll... Evan and I still do that! And were going to do it until were dead!  Haha we were married on January 13, 2012, so every month we have a little mini celebration of yet another month.  Usually we just watch a movie and go get ice cream or something.  But, since February 13th is the day before valentines day, we always kinda get two days of celebrating and fun.

We usually switch off on who gets to plan which day when it comes to Feb. 13th and 14th, and this year Evan got the 13th and I got Valentines day.  He brought home Frankie's pizza (aka best pizza ever!) which, for the season, Frankie made in the shape of a heart.  Evan also got some foot lotion, and he rubbed my feet while we watched "Warm Bodies".  Haha I don't care how geeky this is, but I LOVE that movie!  Haha it's surprisingly cute for a zombie movie!!!

For valentines day, I decided to make one of our favorite special dinners.  We went on our honeymoon to Disneyland, and we love it there.  One of traditions when we go, is to go to the Blue Bayou!  It's the restaurant that's inside the beginning of the Pirates of the Carribean ride.  Our favorite food there is their Monte Cristos.  They are to die for.  I found a RECIPIE two years ago that I have since modified, and made multiple times for special occasions.  Here is how I make mine, and while they aren't exactly like the Blue Bayou... They are still stinkin' good and take us back to our happy place. ;)




MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH
This recipe tastes like the one in Disneyland's Blue Bayou Restaurant
This makes 3 sandwiches and serves 2-3 people

INGREDIENTS:



BATTER:
1 1/4 cup water
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

GARNISH:
powdered sugar, for sprinkling

SANDWICHES:
6 slices white bread
9 slices turkey (3 per sandwich)
9 slices ham (3 per sandwich)
9 slices swiss cheese (3 per sandwich)
vegetable oil, for frying

DIPPING:
Blackberry jam/preserves (use a little milk to thin if needed)



DIRECTIONS:

1.  BATTER: Place water, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well.  Chill.  (Or don't... I don't always and it turns out pretty much the same)

2.  SANDWICHES: Make 3 sandwiches, alternate ham, turkey, cheese (3x) Cut in 1/2 diagonally  (you can put a toothpick through them if that would help you, but I don't end up needing them)

3.  For the oil, I really just eyeball it.  I usually pour about  a 1/2 inch of oil in the pan (Hey- I didn't say these were diet friendly!)  I heat it up usually on medium - med/high  until it reaches the point where if I drop some batter in the oil it starts to lightly sizzle.

4.  Dip sandwich triangles in batter to cover all surfaces. I usually fry two at a time.  Set them in the oil and fry them, turning them over when they start to look nice and golden brown.  Then take them out and drain on a paper towel.

5.  You don't have to do this, but I usually put the oven on low and stick the sandwiches in on a cookie sheet as I finish frying and drying them.  I do this so that they will stay warm hopefully more crispy than if I re-heat them in the microwave when I'm done frying all the sandwich halves.

6.  After you are done, arrange them  on your plate and sprinkle them with powdered sugar.  (cuz you know, frying them didn't already clog our arteries enough)  Easiest way I have found to do this is to scoop the sugar onto a fork and lightly shake it over the sandwiches. 


7.  Serve with fruit blackberry jam/preserves. (Trust me on this one, it's AMAZING.)





Mmmmmm.... so good!  I loved how our place setting looked like a hidden Mickey!  Just for display, I also folded our napkins in the shape of a heart since it was valentines day.  You can do this with any square napkin.  Ours were just the regular small dinner napkins. =)  Here is how to fold them:


Hope you liked it! =)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will have to try this! It sounds so good! I love the napkin folding! Totally going to do this next time for Valentine's Day.

Unknown said...

You definitely should! I hope you like them. We have to tell ourselves we can only make them every once in a while. =)